Re: Two new drafts: Multipart/Interleaved and Application /BatchBeep

At 16.48 -0400 01-04-23, Keith Moore wrote:
>  > 100        ASN.1-PER
>>  175        ASN.1-BER
>>  550        ABNF, RFC822 style
>>  830        XML
>
>Seems like your ASN.1 examples have implicit typing while your ABNF
>and XML examples use explicit tags for each element.  So it's
>hardly fair to say that you're comparing ASN.1 with ABNF or XML;
>you're really comparing implicit to explicit tags.
>
>Keith

By implicit typing in ASN.1-BER is meant that a single tag is used to
indicate both the type in the actual application and the base type it
is based on. With explicit typing, two tags are used. But the ABNF
examples do not use explicit typing. Explicit typing in ABNF would be
for something like:

   Birthyear (INTEGER): 1958
   Name (ISO-8859-1): Mary Smith

which is not done in neither my ABNF nor my XML encoding.

Anyway, explicit typing would only perhaps increase the size of the
ASN.1-BER encoding by about 10 %, that would not change the main
result of my comparison.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/