Re: Two new drafts: Multipart/Interleaved and Application /BatchBeep

At 15.30 -0400 01-04-17, <don@lexmark.com> wrote:
>Tell me about it!!!!!  But if it doesn't use XML it isn't kewl and
>therefore is
>unacceptable!  I proposed binary and was shot down immediately by the
>"politically correct" XML!

I made a test, where I encoded the same information using ASN.1,
ABNF (RFC822 style) and XML.

You can find it at
http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/abook/asn-1-xml-compare.pdf

I compared how many octets had to be sent to transmit the
same information in some different formats:

Relative
Size       Encoding

100        ASN.1-PER
175        ASN.1-BER
550        ABNF, RFC822 style
830        XML

When shown such results, people often say "but XML can be packed".
So I tried packing the XML using the ZIP format. Small blocks of data
became longer, not shorter, when packed. So packing, at least
using ZIP, will not make XML more efficient except for rather
large files.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/