Protocol conversion issues

From: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:49:40 +0200
To: discuss@apps.ietf.org
I am tutoring two students, who are writing a masters paper
in the area of protocol conversion. There are a number
of important issues, such as:

- When should the protocol converter modify data, and not
   modify data

- Should the protocol converter keeps its own data base
   of transactions, which can be used to enhance later
   transactions with data from earlier transactions
   (example: If an incoming e-mail is converted from
   Internet mail to vendor-specific mail, you save
   the original mail in Internet format, to use if
   you need to send it back to Internet again.)

Question: Does anyone know of anything written on this
issue of protocol conversion? Any input for the paper
which the students are to work on?

(Note: Their area is not e-mail, I just gave that
for an example above.)
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/