Re: MP4 Player Available for Download

[First, I apologize for the blank messages I sent yesterday.  Mail system
failure].

Rob Lanphier writes:
> As to the standards we support, there's RTP, RTSP, SDP, SMIL, H.261,
> G.711, PNG, and countless others I'm forgetting, all of which have
> specifications available for interoperability with our system -- and
all
> of which are available for royalty-free implementation to the best of
my
> knowledge.  Additionally, we support many of the MPEG family of
standards
> (MP3 audio natively, and MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video via third party support
> through our plugin architecture).  We even have partners working on
MPEG-4
> support.

I am not a multimedia expert, so please forgive what will sound like
naive questions.  Clearly Real and Microsoft have failed to adopt enough
common standards, since consumers have to install two players so that
they can be assured that they can play any content.

Can you point me at the standards organization that advanced SMIL?  I'm
familiar with H.*, G.*,  and PNG, as well as the IETF standards and the
MPEG standards.  My understanding is that this is largely the crux of the
problem.  If both Real and Microsoft grock the interchange formats of the
audio and video, the thing that separates you guys is layout.

And if layout is the problem, perhaps some of the people in W3C could
comment on what standards are applicable.

Eliot Lear
[lear@ofcourseimright.com]