Re: TCP timeout parameters and wireless (was Re: pilc minutes for IETF 48)

From: James P. Salsman <bovik@best.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:11:07 -0700 (PDT)
To: mallman@grc.nasa.gov
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org, ietf-mmms@imc.org, ietf@ietf.org, pilc@grc.nasa.gov
Mark,

Thanks for your message:

>... It is my opinion that it is a mistake to reduce the maximum
> RTO too low....

Absolutly; I'm worried that even mentioning the RTO maximum will
detract attention from the maximum retransmition timeout which is
the REAL problem with TCP over wireless, more than all the other
TCP parameters combined, certainly.

I mean, what difference does it make if you have to wait an extra
minute to get a connection back as long as you can get it back
instead of having it dropped after nine minutes?

Cheers,
James