(unknown charset) Re: Mobile Multimedia Messaging Service

From: (unknown charset) Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:24:19 +0100
To: (unknown charset) Dave Crocker <dhc2@dcrocker.net>
Cc: (unknown charset) vint cerf <vcerf@MCI.NET>, Patrik (unknown charset) Fältström <paf@cisco.com>, "James P. Salsman" <bovik@best.com>, Jim.Mathis@Motorola.com, ned.freed@innosoft.com, discuss@apps.ietf.org, ietf-mmms@imc.org, ietf@ietf.org, Johan Hjelm <johan.hjelm@era-t.ericsson.se>
At 09:23 AM 9/16/00 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>At 08:12 AM 9/16/00 -0400, vint cerf wrote:
>>would it be useful, in the context of establishing peer-to-peer
>>communications
>>(or even client/server communications) with limited-function mobile devices,
>>to use SIP as a framework for negotiating the parameters that should
>>guide the
>>nature of the exchange? I'm thinking, for instance, of a web server that may
>>usefully discover the functional limits of a mobile before it starts to send
>>content to that device. The mobile uses SIP to report to the server that it
>>has X amount of memory, Y amount of display area, color or not, average
>>data rate it can send or receive, and so on. This information would be used
>>by the server to configure what it sends to be compatible with the receiving
>>unit.
>>
>>perhaps this is an idea that is already being pursued in an IETF working
>>group?
>

>The Content Negotiation work would cover this sort of exchange, I believe.

See RFC 2506, RFC 2533, RFC 2534.

But also note...

There is work in W3C (CC/PP working group) that addresses exactly this
area, from a perspective of data format.  Some initial public drafts are
available for comment at http://www.w3.org/Mobile/CCPP/.

There was also a BOF held in Pittsburgh to garner interest in HTTP
extensions to convey capability information described using CC/PP, and
maybe other formats.

Both the CONNEG and CC/PP work have (rightly in my view) focused purely on
formats for expression of capabilities.  Details of protocols for conveying
such information may reasonably vary between applications (HTTP, SIP,
e-mail, etc.).

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)