Re: Only include implemented features in a draft standard

From: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:40:37 +0200
To: <ned.freed@innosoft.com>
Cc: IETF Applications Area Discussion List <discuss@apps.ietf.org>
At 19.32 -0700 0-06-16, <ned.freed@innosoft.com> wrote:
> But the presence or absence of conformance requirements doesn't affect
> the interoperability requirements needed to advance the standard in any
> way, shape, or form. In order to advance MIME individual features had to
> be tested one by one, which we did.

This is almost what I wrote. The only difference, is that
you are saying that what is labelled as "conformance
requirement" and which is specified only for receipt, is by
that labelling exempt from the inter-operability
requirement.

So if a standards writer wants to put into his standard
a requirement which is only for receipt, and which thus
cannot be interoperapility tested (since such testing
requires both production and receipt) then the standards
writer must label this requirement as a "conformance
requirement" in order to be allowed to progress it to
draft status without interoperability testing.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/