RE: 3GPP-T-WG3 codecs

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:30:21 -0800
To: Andrew Daviel <andrew@daviel.org>, <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, <www-smil@w3.org>, "'Philipp Hoschka'" <ph@w3.org>
At 13.17 -0800 00-12-11, Andrew Daviel wrote:
>WAV seems to be the defacto standard, though I confess that there seem to
>be many flavours and it is at heart a proprietary format. MP3, anyone ?

Do we have someone reading these messages which can let me know if I
am right or wrong when claiming that we talk about a sort of three
layer architecture:

    Codec
    Format
  Transport

In the case of Waw, that is not a codec, but a format, which allow
different codecs.

????

Has anyone seen any compilation on what various "words" actually mean?

     paf