RE: 3GPP-T-WG3 codecs

From: Andrew Daviel <andrew@daviel.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:17:55 -0800 (PST)
To: <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, <www-smil@w3.org>, "'Philipp Hoschka'" <ph@w3.org>
On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Glenn Parsons wrote:

> Philipp, I'd be interested in the rational that made you pick audio/basic

Just saw this in passing and thought I'd offer my 2c

Audio/basic as I recall is a mu-law codec and  was impelmented in hardware
on Sun workstations and some early PC sound cards. It has been dropped
from later soundcards so that conversion must be done in software.
WAV seems to be the defacto standard, though I confess that there seem to
be many flavours and it is at heart a proprietary format. MP3, anyone ?

Andrew Daviel