RE: need a reviewer (or three) for draft-cai-ssdp-v1-00.txt

At 09:26 16.03.99 +0100, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>At one time at least, the ICP protocol of SQUID would ship small documents
>in UDP datagrams on the ICP response.

Yes, we did.
>That community is probably able to give practical, recent experience.

No, it is not a good idea.
>(They may still be doing it....)
Some do, but it is still not a good idea
 - UDP fragementation
 - access control trouble (lack of HTTP headers)
 - pinelining requests give better performance ( we used to do this in the
days of HTTP/1.0 )

This is off the top of my head, there is more negative experience that I
have suppressed (we did do WAN UDP-packets for quite a while in the COM-MESH
experiment).  And of course we are changing to CacheDigest these days...

Ingrid