Re: IAB draft on security

At 11:12 AM 7/29/1999 +0200, Jacob Palme wrote:
>We might develop solutions which are both technially sound and
>acceptable to the export control people. For example, we might use
>different algorithms for encryption of content, than for the
>encryption used in identification and authorization services. The
>export control people may be willing to allow longer key length for
>identification and authorization than for content encryption.

...or they might not. The security folks have gotten used to relying on one
part of a government saying "you can do that" but then having another part
say "you can't do that". And, remember, we'd have to get buy-in from *all*
governments, or at least all the ones we thought were significant. I think
trying to keep the security folks in all governments happy is a classic
rathole.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium