Re: Application "core protocol" BOF/WG idea

From: Eliot Lear <elear@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:48:16 -0800
To: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@innosoft.com>
CC: discuss@apps.ietf.org
Chris:

There are two reasons to do what you suggest, only one of which will
fly.

[1]	To provide guidance on not having to repeat the same mistakes made
by
	others.  This is a good thing.

[2]	To provide mechanisms that keep us from existing using
	protocols inappropriately.

I think [1] can be accomplished with a BCP, stating those BCPs (make a
stronger statement than Informational).  I do not think [2] can
realistically be accomplished, given the motivations of application
developers in using protocols such as HTTP.  HTTP offers no real
intrinsic benefit over TCP, other than that it gets through many
firewalls in a nearly unrestricted fashion.

Further, it's not clear that developing an APPLCORE protocol is
reasonable to attempt, since it will force you into too many LCD
situations with lots of options.  This is something that we in the IETF
have struggled with in the past.  "We have seen ISO and they are us."
--
Eliot Lear
elear@cisco.com