RE: Application "core protocol" BOF/WG idea

All,

I think we should also look into why earlier attempts have failed.

RFC 1831 defines a working RPC mechanism, which could potentially have
been used by multiple application protocols but wasn't.

The IPP WG looked at this as an alternative to using HTTP, but came to
the conclusion that there were few if any implementations of RFC 1831,
and it was certainly not "on everybody's desktop" like HTTP.

Do we know why RFC 1831 was never picked up by the market place, and
how we can avoid making yet another generic application protocol,
that does not get implemented?

(I expect to hear complaints from all of you who actually have
implemented RFC 1831 :-)

Carl-Uno