Re: Application "core protocol" BOF/WG idea

From: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:08:00 -0800
To: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@innosoft.com>, discuss@apps.ietf.org
At 9:31 AM -0800 1/28/99, Chris Newman wrote:

> I'm interested in feedback on the following BOF/WG idea.  Do you think
> this is a good/bad idea?  Any suggestions to improve the proposed charter?
> Anyone interested in being a document editor of either of the two
> proposed documents or interested in WG chair/co-chair position?

I think it would be a good idea.  A quick read of the straw charter
shows it contains those things that I can think of off the top of my
head.  I also think that, while this could be very useful effort, it
could also degenerate and thus needs a tight reign on scope.  The
work should definitely be done in steps:

    1.  Identify common problems
    2.  Identify solutions used in various protocols
    3.  Analyze solutions: what elements worked, what didn't
    4.  Publish informational document
    5.  Identify core set of problems for new skeleton protocol

I'd be willing to be a document editor or chair/co-chair.