Re: Binary data in text-based protocol formats

At 09:14 99/02/20 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> At 12:36 PM 2/20/99 +0100, Jacob Palme wrote:
> >I have looked at the XML specs, and not found any good way
> >of putting binary data into XML either. Have I missed
> >something?
>
> Only the embarrassed groans of many people in the XML community. :-)

XML is a text format. As such, it can be transcoded by mail gateways.
If you label something as
and it gets transcoded to EBCDIC, the binary data won't survive.

The web can easily include binary data, it's done all the time
with images, just use a link instead of putting things inline :-).

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org