Re: URLs in web-based groupware

From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:02:46 -0500 (EST)
To: jpalme@dsv.su.se (Jacob Palme)
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org, sol-tech@ambra.omega.it
Jacob Palme said this:
> At 17.19 +0100 99-02-15, <spreitze@parc.xerox.com> wrote:
> > There are even more reasons for wanting a family of
> >"equivalent" URLs, and these are a general problem on the
> >web.  The classic example is motivated by mirroring, where
> >you want each user to be fetching from a "nearby" mirror
> >and yet everybody communicates with URLs that are not
> >mirror-specific.
>
> That is handled by the URN standard, but we cannot use it,
> because it is not supported by current web browsers.

I am currently writing this into mozilla. We also have a plugin
for Explorer that we are working on improving. MS has made some
noise in the past of needing URN support. All of the software
is available at ftp://research.netsol.com. There are also
Java classes available for URN resolution.

-MM

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821