Re: Application "core protocol" BOF/WG idea

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Bill Janssen wrote:
> Excerpts from mail: 11-Feb-99 Re: Application "core proto.. Chris
> Newman@innosoft.co (2105*)
> > I can't predict what a careful study of IETF protocol history and
> > comparison of candidate solutions will suggest.
>
> I feel that I can, since that's what we did for the W3C HTTP-NG project.
>  I suspect you'd come up with something very like the proposed HTTP-NG
> protocol stack.

Do you have a public document explaining your observations of past IETF
protocol successes and failures?  Perhaps your work could form the basis
for the "history/problem statement" draft which several people felt should
be done instead of identifying/developing a "core application protocol"?

I'd certainly be interested in reading the sections on Telnet, IMAP, POP,
and SMTP as I've written my own and examined other people's protocol
engines for them.  There are a lot of interesting design lessons from that
set of protocols, let alone the others I've studied in less detail.

		- Chris