Re: Application "core protocol" BOF/WG idea

From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:39:48 -0500 (EST)
To: spreitze@parc.xerox.com
Cc: Chris.Newman@innosoft.com, discuss@apps.ietf.org
spreitze@parc.xerox.com said this:
> What's the vision of where APPLCORE would be used?  (In a world that already
> has HTTP, being used and abused for many and increasingly many things, plus
> CORBA, Java RMI, and DCOM --- what's left?)

Here's an example: in house we've built a few text based protocols
between different vendor supplied services (credit card transactions is
one example). It would help me if I could circulate this document around
the company as a standard starting place for simple protocols.

At least in my mind these are light weight, low to medium demand, very
narrowly defined protocols that never used 95% of the features and overhead
of HTTP much less CORBA, RMI or DCOM...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821