Re: APPLCORE rough concensus?

From: <spreitze@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:08:47 PST
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
Cc: spreitze@parc.xerox.com, Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com>, discuss@apps.ietf.org

> ... that approach (true subset of HTTPng)
> could imply that HTTPng is the basis for all future applications
> protocols.

It seems to me that the implication goes the other way (assuming we're willing to assemble a given application's protocol stack from various protocols that solve subsets of the application's problems): the smaller the set of protocol problems you address, the larger the set of applications whose problem set includes the set you address.  Put another way: if HTTP-NG is layered over APPLCORE, then APPLCORE is used for everything HTTP-NG is and potentially also things that HTTP-NG is not used for.