Re: APPLCORE: An architectural question

From: Tom Harding <tomh@thinlink.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 12:06:59 -0800
To: spreitze@parc.xerox.com
CC: discuss@apps.ietf.org
spreitze@parc.xerox.com wrote:

> > Another approach is for a higher-layer application protocol, or the application itself, to choose when to use multiple requests and when to open another connection.
>
> That's not an alternative.  The mere availability of a message muxing protocol doesn't relieve the higher layer of the responsibility of deciding how to use it.  This is a matter of the software in the peers, not the wire protocol (although the design of each naturally influences the design of the other).

I heartily agree that if webmux or another message multiplexing protocol is available, an application layer protocol like XP doesn't need any request/response tagging mechanism.  You just use multiple connections for everything instead of only when you explicitly want concurrency below the level of whole responses.