Re: APPLCORE: An architectural question

From: Tom Harding <tomh@thinlink.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 08:16:02 -0800
To: discuss@apps.ietf.org
Graham Klyne wrote:

> I don't have a definite view on which way is best, but I tend to lean in
> favour of the mux approach.

I wonder how much complexity the protocol software can actually hide from the
application.  It seems that structures for tracking all of the outstanding
requests and handling their responses are bound to make it into the application
code, especially if multiple responses to the same request are allowed.

On another note, has anyone here had a chance to look at my XP draft?  We are
using XML for everything on the wire, and I thought it would be useful to take
a stab at formalizing that fact as a basis for many different kinds of
protocols.  It tags requests and responses, as a wire protocol must, but a
software implementation could still take the "mux" approach.

Tom Harding