APPLCORE rough concensus?

From: Chris Newman <chris@innosoft.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 18:50:26 -0800 (PST)
To: discuss@apps.ietf.org
I get the following sense of this list on the APPLCORE proposal:

* There is significant interest in the problem

* As long as the effort avoids research areas (i.e., is constrained to
  problems we've solved before), it's within IETF's scope.

* The proposed charter does a good job at constraining the problem, but
  perhaps not good enough (specific suggestions welcome).

* Some have suggested the "core protocol" task be dropped but that a group
  doing the history/problem identification task would be valuable.

* Some have suggested the second work item be changed from a "core
  protocol" to "reusable protocol components" or "design patterns"

* This should be coordinated with the HTTP-NG team and ONCRPC WG who
  are doing related work with different scopes.

I believe the first three suffice to justify a BOF on the topic.  The next
two are good issues to discuss at a BOF and unlikely to be resolved on
this list.

Please speak up if you disagree with this characterization of the
discussion so far.

A new mailing list has been set up for further discussion.  The
subscription address is <ietf-applcore-request@imc.org>.  The list will
become active in about a week (feel free to subscribe now).

		- Chris