Re: Application "core protocol" BOF/WG idea

From: Steve Hole <steve@execmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 22:31:08 -0700
To: Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com>
Cc: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@INNOSOFT.COM>, discuss@apps.ietf.org
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:56:22 +0000 Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> While I applaud the general intent, I echo other concerns that the goal
> is too ambitious.
>
> Specifically, I find the idea that we can "design a simple core protocol to
> address these problems" is something of a tall order.  What I do think may
> be achievable is to identify a range of problems, and then make
> recommendations about solutions to these.

I think that the term "core protocol" is misleading in many ways.    We
really don't want a complete protocol in and of itself.     Seems to me
that you could organize it into two distinct classes of thing that would
be described:

1.   A general set of design guidelines for application protocols.   This
would include things like binary vs. text commands and payload, encoding
schemes, specification syntaxes, etc.

2.   A set of protocol components that you can assemble into a specific
protocol.   This would include many of the things that Chris had in his
message like authentication, ACL's, capabilities/extensions, etc.
Not unlike a set of protocol subroutines or object classes.     The list of
accepted components can be quite small to begin with.

Cheers.

---
Steve Hole
Execmail Inc.