Re: IRC/Realtime Chat WG

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 02:35:55 +0100
To: Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, discuss@apps.ietf.org
At 15:08 30.12.99 -0600, Kevin Day wrote:

>Has any thought been given to the creation of an IRC or other realtime chat
>working group?
>
>As an ircd developer, client hacker, and frustrated user, the lack of
>standards is becoming a greater problem. The only standard to turn to is a
>very outdated RFC, which doesn't cover much of the ambiguity that's causing
>problems now.
>
>Any thoughts before I persue this further?
The only activity I've seen in this space recently is Christoph Kalt's
attempt to document the existing protocol before going any further - see
draft-kalt-irc-* for the details. Helping him get it out the door would be
a Good Thing - last updates were in October, according to my timestamps.

IRC seems to be among the areas with a large number of people who want to
see something done, but a very low ability to get agreement on what that
"something" is. I hope this will change.....

                            Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no