Re: HTTP Extensions Framework status?

From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 11:49:47 +0900
To: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org, moore@cs.utk.edu
One main purpose of the HTTP extensions spec is not to
(mis)use HTTP for completely new things, but to allow
additions/extensions to HTTP proper. A very good example
is P3P (http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P), where the extension spec
is used to indicate which privacy policies the pages exchanged
by HTTP work under (http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P#HTTP_Extensions).

Making things extensible, and reducing the amount of
work needed for each extension at a central point such
as the IETF Apps Area directors, looks like a very
worthwile goal.

Regards,   Martin.

At 13:46 1999/12/07 +0100, Jacob Palme wrote:
> At 17.35 -0500 99-12-01, Keith Moore wrote:

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-frystyk-http-extensions-03.txt

> I have read through the proposal once again. The think I react
> to (may be because I did not understand) is the requirement
> to base new applications on HTTP/1.1. It should at least
> be allowed for new applications to use a subset of HTTP/1.1,
> and to specify which subset they are using.
>
> The full HTTP/1.1 is much more than what many new applications,
> built on top of HTTP, need.
> Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
> for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org