RE: Looking for comments on the HTTP Extension draft

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:20:18 PST
To: "Chris Newman" <Chris.Newman@innosoft.com>, "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <frystyk@w3.org>
Cc: <discuss@apps.ietf.org>
> I was suggesting that the optional header model is sufficient for
> extensible headers.  There probably does need to be something along the
> lines of the EHLO command added to SMTP.  Sorry I wasn't clear.

Doing so would be inconsistent with the stateless model for HTTP.

I believe the conclusion to draw from this discussion is that while
header field prefixes do add complexity, and that such complexity
was found unnecessary in other protocols, it's needed here.

I don't know whether this design rationale belongs in the document
before it's published as an RFC. Probably a brief paragraph to that
effect would be useful, if only to point out that this isn't an
example that is necessarily to be followed for other protocols.

Larry