Re: dav and uri components with embedded slashes

Phillips, Mark wrote:
> I am a novice with Apache and working to displace ignorance with knowledge. If my question is off topic for this list, please point me to a more appropriate forum if you know of one.

The WebDAV mailing list
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/> probably is a
better place...

> I have set up Apache 2 on Windows XP and enabled mod_dav. That works fine. I have built a dav client that works well with the server as well as successfully connected from well known dav clients.
>
> As we further our development, the request has been made to support URI components with embedded slashes, e.g. "Code 11/test 14".
>
> I have read about the apache directive AllowEncodedSlashes. I tried placing it in the main section of httpd.conf, but no joy.

Well, that would allow having them percent-encoded...

> Is it possible to support embedded slashes in directory and file names in a DAV repository?
>
> If it possible, I would most grateful for advice and/or link to resources to help me understand a correct way to accomplish this.

It's probably possible, but I would expect most WebDAV clients to become
extremely confused.

Not sure why you really would want that ... you can't have a slash
character in a filename for a reason :-).

BR, Julian