Re: Confirming a merge

From: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:23:27 -0500
To: werner.donne@re.be
Cc: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org, ietf-dav-versioning-request@w3.org
I agree ... we made this change in JSR-170 (which otherwise follows the
RFC-3253 model).
If we do a maintenance release for RFC-3253, this is an enhancement we
should probably add.

Werner Donné <werner.donne@re.be>
Sent by: ietf-dav-versioning-request@w3.org
12/01/2006 02:43 PM
Please respond to
werner.donne@re.be

ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
cc

Subject
Confirming a merge

Hi,

To confirm a merge, a client should move a source URI from either
the merge-set or the auto-merge-set to the predecessor-set. This
can lead to an inconsistent server if the second of both property
updates fails or is never issued by the client. Such a responsibility
should not lie with the client. I think it is better that the server
does it and in an atomic way. This requires either another method
or another behaviour of the CHECKIN method when a merge is not
complete, i.e. the CHECKIN becomes the confirmation.

Regards,

Werner.
--
Werner Donné  --  Re