Re: Using activities for branching

Werner wrote on 03/24/2006 12:49:10 PM:

> I have trouble understanding how activities can be used effectively
> for branching purposes. When one makes branches in a version history
> this usually leads to a tree with different lines of descent.

Yes.

> As far as I see it is not possible to have work going on in different
> branches at the same time, because in a version history there can only
> be one checked-out version, which stems from the fact that a VCR has
> at most one checked-out version.

There are an arbitrary number of VCR's for a given version history
(at most one per workspace though), so there can be an arbitrary number
of concurrent checkouts from a single version history (or a single
version, for that matter).

> Workspaces are of no help here, because you would have to introduce
> a new VCR with an independent version history.  There is no permanent
> link between that version history and the one the workspace was created
> from.

You can use the VERSION-CONTROL method with a version as an argument
to create a VCR for an existing version history.  Also, you can use the
BASELINE-CONTROL method with an existing baseline, to create a whole bunch
of VCR's for a whole bunch of existing version histories.

> With workspaces one can't "grow" branches on an existing version
> history. Once a workspace is gone its version history is gone as
> well.

Deleting a workspace has no effect on any version or on any version
history; in particular, deleting a workspace does not delete any versions
or version histories.