Re: DIFF method

From: Werner Donné <werner.donne@re.be>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:12:51 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>, ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

This is focused on flat files. For that you can extract both and
perform diff and patch. In the context of a document repository
you would do a merge. The diff in the server is necessary because
in a versioning system users want to be able to inspect changes
in the version history. The result of a DIFF is no different than
that of a GET. Only the processing is different.

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Werner Donné wrote:
>> Julian,
>> What would clients do with the format? Present the result?
>> Servers could generate HTML.
> I would expect that the response from a DIFF could be applied by a
> client to an existing copy, effectively patching it. But that requires a
> standard format...

Werner Donné  --  Re
Engelbeekstraat 8
B-3300 Tienen