Licence issue / versioning

From: de Carvalho Klose, Daniel <klose@fti-en.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:24:11 +0100
To: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently concerning about one issue referring to the licence model
of one commercial vendor of a certain project management software and
would like to kindly ask you if it is right what this vendor is doing:

The vendor is promoting a webbased projectmanagement tool that has the
webdav standard included (file repository for project data etc.). The
weird thing of his licence model is, that the customer has to pay for
the "versioning feature" within the webdav standard. It seems totally
odd for me, since WEBDAV is an open standard that has already the
versioning feature included. For me it would be the same as paying for
the "send" feature in the ftp protocol, whereas "receiving" is free!

I appreciate any statement regarding to my issue.

Kindest regards.

Dipl.- Ing. MSc Daniel de Carvalho Klose
System Administration

FTI Engineering Network GmbH
Witzlebenplatz 4
D-14057 Berlin