Re: checkin-set

From: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:32:50 -0400
To: werner.donne@re.be
Cc: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Werner Donné <werner.donne@re.be> wrote on 04/12/2006 03:21:44 PM:

> >> each branch could be checked out if there is a workspace,
> >> which has a VCR, that is linked to the first version of that branch.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by "linking the VCR to the first version of
> > branch".

> I meant a workspace with a VCR that was created with the first version
> of the branch/activity.

In general, there would not be (and would not need to be) such a

> > You indicate what branch/activity you are working on by setting the
> > DAV:current-activity of your workpspace to reference that

> I think this is the clue. If the current activity of a workspace is
> changed, can this affect the checked-in version of a VCR? Is the system
> allowed to set it to the most recent version within the activity if
> such a version exists?

You can do this, but you use the MERGE method (see section 13.12 in
Changing the DAV:current-activity of the workspace has no effect
on the checked-in version of any VCR in the workspace.
> > When you checkout a VCR, you checkout the version of that VCR
> > that is in that configuration, and if you want some other version to
> > appear in that configuration, you perform an UPDATE to make that
> > version appear in that workspace.

> Do I understand it correctly then that if a user wants to check out on a
> branch/activity within a version history he has to "import" the last
> in that activity by making sure there is a VCR in his workspace that has
> its checked-in version set to it? Possibly the user has to create a VCR
> in his workspace using that version.

> If that is true, and assuming collections are supported, the user has
> flexibility to create his own "directory tree" in his workspace with all
> items he is working on.

He could do that, but it would be more useful for the collections to be
baseline control, so that the user UPDATEs his workspace with a baseline,
which pulls in a consistent configuration of all of these items and of the
collections that contain them (so that the namespace of the files items is
under version control as well).

> On the other hand he always has to do this "import"
> action and manage this "directory tree". Would it be allowed to generate
> VCRs automatically when a workspace is created? For example, VCR /a/b/c
> lead to /ws/myws/a/b/c.

Yes, that is what baselines and BASELINE-CONTROL of collections provides.