Interaction of DAV:auto-version and DAV:checkout-fork

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:36:48 +0200
To: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>

Hi,

consider the following scenario:

- "a" is a version controlled resource with some kind of auto-versioning
enabled, for instance DAV:checkout-unlocked-checkin,

- it's DAV:checked-in property refers to a version with a DAV:checkout-fork
property of DAV:discouraged and a non-empty DAV:successor-set property.

Non-versioning aware client attempts to modify the resource.

Possible outcomes:

a) request is rejected (409 with
DAV:checkout-of-version-with-descendant-is-discouraged),

b) request is accepted and the version history will fork.

I think both behaviours are allowed, but which one makes more sense? Right
now, I'm preferring to reject the request (standard operations on a
checked-in resource shouldn't introduce forks into the version history).

Opinions?