RE: error condition for delete of VHR when VCR is in checked-in c ollection

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:31:45 -0400
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   From: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@greenbytes.de]

   - DAV:href references to versions may be broken -- for instance
   because the versioning server is only loosely coupled, and the
   versions actually live in a different system. That the references
   point to non-accessible/gone resources isn't really a problem
   during checking in / checking out -- but for instance UNCHECKOUT or
   UPDATE may fail later.

Yes.

   - My point is that this is an error condition. Yes, it may
   happen. But, I think it is wrong that a client can get into this
   state by just doing RFC3253-allowed requests. At the very least,
   the DELETE sematics for VHRs should *warn* programmers that the
   side effects of the deletion of a VHR may be surprising :-)

The standard behavior of property values is that they stay unchanged
unless explicitly changed by some method, so we do not repeat that
statement with every property definition.  This is as true for
DAV:href values as it is for any other value.  Note that we do
explicitly state whenever any auto-updating occurs (e.g. various
special DELETE/MOVE postconditions).