RE: error condition for delete of VHR when VCR is in checked-in c ollection

I think we need to distinguish between

a) references to version histories / versions that are correct, but specific
users may not dereference/GET them (I don't have any problem with that), and

b) references that are dead (because the resource they point to is gone).

In case b), there's no way a subsequent CHECKIN or CHECKOUT can satisfy
RFC3253's postconditions, so I'd consider this a broken state. There
shouldn't be a protocol-tolerated way to get into this state, right?