MERGE & BASELINES

From: Kirmse, Daniel <daniel.kirmse@sap.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:50:18 +0100
To: "Ietf-Dav-Versioning (E-mail)" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
Hi,

suppose this:

Three Workspaces under baseline-control, versioned collections.
WS1 was used to create a collection hierarchy:

    WS1                   WS2                  WS3                   WS4
     |                     |                    |                     |
     +-- A

     +-- B

     +-- C

    WS1-BL1

This hierarchy was merged (using a baseline of WS1) into WS2 and WS3.

    WS1                   WS2                  WS3                   WS4
     |                     |                    |                     |
     +-- A                 +-- A                +-- A
     |                     |                    |
     +-- B                 +-- B                +-- B
     |                     |                    |
     +-- C                 +-- C                +-- C

    WS1-BL1               WS2-BL1              WS3-BL1

WS1, WS2 and WS3 are subject to changes (addition of files etc.) Finally
there is a state like this:
(A,B,C - collections; F1,F2,F3 - files)

    WS1                   WS2                  WS3                   WS4
     |                     |                    |                     |
     +-- A                 +-- A                +-- A
     |   |                 |                    |
     |   +-- F1            |                    |
     |                     |                    |
     +-- B                 +-- B                +-- B
     |                     |   |                |
     |                     |   +-- F2           |
     |                     |                    |
     +-- C                 +-- C                +-- C

                                                    +-- F3

    WS1-BL2               WS2-BL2              WS3-BL2

Now WS4 the changes should be merged into WS4. First I merge baseline
WS1-BL2 into WS4, this would cause this:

    WS1                   WS2                  WS3                   WS4
     |                     |                    |                     |
     +-- A                 +-- A                +-- A                 +-- A
     |   |                 |                    |                     |   |
     |   +-- F1            |                    |                     |
+-- F1
     |                     |                    |                     |
     +-- B                 +-- B                +-- B                 +-- B
     |                     |   |                |                     |
     |                     |   +-- F2           |                     |
     |                     |                    |                     |
     +-- C                 +-- C                +-- C                 +-- C

                                                    +-- F3

    WS1-BL2               WS2-BL2              WS3-BL2               WS4-BL1

with alle versioned resources existing in WS1 are created in WS4 and
pointing to the same checked-in versions. Now it's getting interessting.
What happens when I merge baseline WS2-BL2 into WS4? Would this cause this:

    WS1                   WS2                  WS3                   WS4
     |                     |                    |                     |
     +-- A                 +-- A                +-- A                 +-- A
     |   |                 |                    |                     |   |
     |   +-- F1            |                    |                     |
+-- F1
     |                     |                    |                     |
     +-- B                 +-- B                +-- B                 +-- B
     |                     |   |                |                     |   |
     |                     |   +-- F2           |                     |
+-- F2

                                                    +-- F3

    WS1-BL2               WS2-BL2              WS3-BL2               WS4-BL2

with F2 created and set to the same checked-in version as WS2/B/F2. /WS4/B's
checked-in version "updated" to be the same as in WS2/B? And /WS4/A
untouched even if it is part of the baseline WS2-BL2, cause the checked-in
version of WS4/A is a successor of that of WS2/A?

Regards,
Daniel