Definition of DAV:error and it's use in multistatus...

From: Peter Raymond <Peter.Raymond@merant.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:13:02 -0000
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Hi,

Section 1.6 of the DeltaV specification defines how the pre and post
condition XML
elements should be returned.  It says:

"the appropriate XML element MUST be returned as the child of a top-level
DAV:error
element in the response body, unless otherwise negotiated by the request.
In a 207
Multi-Status response, the DAV:error element would appear in the appropriate
DAV:responsedescription element."

This is the only definiton of DAV:error, there is no DTD for this element as
far
as I can tell and no examples of it's use within a multistatus response.
It would seem to violate the DTD defined in RFC2518 for
DAV:responsedescription.

Am I correct in thinking that the syntax should be:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
  <D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:">
    <D:response>
      <D:href>http://www.merant.com/webdav/ws1/test.html</D:href>
      <D:status>HTTP/1.1 409 CONFLICT</D:status>
      <D:responsedescription>
        <D:error>
          <D:label-must-exist/>
        </D:error>
        Label specified does not exist
      </D:responsedescription>
    </D:response>
  </D:multistatus>

The human readable text describing the error and the DAV:error element are
children
of the DAV:responsedescription element.  This seems very odd.  Why not have
the
DAV:error element as a child of the DAV:response element?

Regards,
--
Peter Raymond - MERANT
Principal Architect (PVCS)