RE: error condition for delete of VHR when VCR is in checked-in c ollection

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:04:37 +0200
To: "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com>, <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>

Nope. I have deleted the binding to the version history, not necessarily the
information itself. In particular, my server may be able to reconstruct it
upon UNCHECKOUT of the versioned collection "/a" (using the same URI).

> happen even when there is a VCR for that version history in
> some workspace, I don't see that it makes any sense to worry
> about whether or not the collection containing that VCR is
> checked in or checked out.

The issue is that RFC3253 doesn't define a method to switch off version
control on a resource, and therefore people are using deletion on VHRs to
switch off versioning (I couldn't find any mention of this in the spec,
though). This conflates to separate things, but there doesn't seem to be
better way to do it (please don't say COPY/DELETE/MOVE, because this creates
a *new* resource).