RE: Problems with Windows XP "redirector" and Mac OS X WebDAVFS.

Hi,

I am not sure how your suggestion would help us Geoff.
Let me give a bit more detail on the problem...

Let's imagine you have a VCR at /dav/foo.c, it has a VHR at /dav/vhr/foo1
and a checked-in version /dav/vhr/foo1/v1.

The user connects to this DeltaV server using the Windows XP WebDAV
redirector or MacOS X.
These clients are not DeltaV clients so they don't do an explicit CHECKOUT
but lets imagine
the server is an auto-versioning server (as ours is):

* The user opens foo.c (the client maybe does a LOCK but basically does a
GET on /dav/foo.c).

* The user changes the file content and saves...

* So the client does the "safe save" and creates a temporary file so will do
PUT /dav/foo.c.tmp
  (for example), this will create a new resource (VCR because it is
auto-versioning),
  a new VHR, version etc.

* The client issues DELETE on /dav/foo.c (we don't delete the VHR and the
version at this point,
  so /dav/foo1 and /dav/foo1/v1 will still exist and maybe VCRs in other
workspaces will still point
  to them or maybe they will be dangling).

* The client issues a MOVE to rename /dav/foo.c.tmp to /dav/foo.c.

The net result of this is that EVERY resource on the server has only one
version
and there are many VHRs and Versions lying around the system some possibly
dangling.
We also noticed that some clients do several PUTs to both the temporary
resource and
the original VCR (resulting in some spurious versions).

I dread to think what would happen with an auto-versioning server with
version controlled
collections...do the clients do the same temporary resource and move trick
with folders?

I understand this is due to the fact that the filesystem redirectors are
being called
by applications which are expecting a filesystem :-) So it's not necessarily
the redirector
which is at fault, the applications are doing this multiple save and move
behaviour and
the redirector is honouring the applications request by doing WebDAV
methods.
But it does seem like a fairly serious problem that will probably be
encountered by and
WebDAV servers being used by these redirector clients.

Any ideas what we can do to protect data from being deleted and from the
proliferation
of unnecessary versions and VCRs in the system?

Our current strategy is to make these clients "read-only" but that seems to
devalue the
usefulness of having filesystem redirectors.

Regards,
--
Peter Raymond - MERANT
Principal Architect (PVCS)