RE: Label header vs PROPFIND depth 1

In absence of the LABEL header feature I would agree.

However, the label header exactly does what HTTP 1.1 defines a selecting a
variant. So if you use it to get a version rather than a VCR, you *make* the
version a variant of the VCR (like it or not).

> > > "the multistatus XML element for a collection resource with
> member URIs
> > > MUST include a response XML element for each member URI of the
> collection,
> > > to whatever depth was requested"
> > >
> > > If the label: applied to each member of the version-controlled
> collection,
> > > then the results would be a set of versions that were not related by
> > > membership.
> >
> > No, the result isn't a set of versions anyway. It is a set of *variants*
> of
> > the member VCRs. You will not see the version URIs in the response body.
>
> What do you mean by the _variants_ of a version-controlled resource?  My
> understanding is that a variant is an alternate representation of a
> resource, and that is not the case here.

Yes, it is.

The label header is a variant selector as defined per RFC2616. If this
wouldn't be the case, including "label" in the "vary" header would be wrong.