Re: BASELINE-COLLECTION Property

"Kirmse, Daniel" <daniel.kirmse@sap.com> wrote:

> I don't think I've got an understanding of what this means:
>
> 12.3.1 DAV:baseline-collection (protected)
>         This property contains a server-defined URL for a
> collection, where each member of this collection MUST
> either be a version-controlled resource with the same
> DAV:checked-in version and relative name as a version-
> controlled member of the baseline-controlled collection
> at the time the baseline was created, or be a collection
> needed to provide the relative name for a version-
> controlled resource.
>         <!ELEMENT baseline-collection (href)>

The DAV:baseline-collection is a mechanism for 'viewing' the contents of a
baseline without 'restoring' it.

A baseline resource is not a collection, it is a blob that captures the
state of version-controlled resources in a configuration.  However, it is
useful to be able to see which (version-controlled) resources were
captured by the baseline, and that is provided by the
DAV:baseline-collection.

The DAV:baseline-collection will appear exactly the same as the
(version-controlled resources in the) configuration that was baselined.
Since there may be collections that are not version-controlled, whose
members _are_ version-controlled, it may be necessary to include
'place-holder' collections in the DAV:baseline-collection to ensure that
all the version-controlled resources appear at the correct relative name.

> Suppose a collection /DEV under basline-control. This
> collection has a member collection /src and the latter
> has a member source.c.

Ok, /DAV/src/source.c

> Is it right to undersatnd it that
> way that the baseline-collection property of a baseline
> of the VCC tracking /DEV contains a copy of the tree
> rooted of /DEV (except for those memebers tracked by
> another VCC) at the moment the snapshot was done?

Yes, again, provided they are themselves version-controlled.

So if
/DAV/ is baseline controlled but not version-controlled,
/DAV/src/ is not version-controlled,
/DAV/src/source.c _is_ version-controlled.

Then a baseline of /DAV/ will have a baseline-collection with two
collections only there to make up the namespace (i.e., their members only
includes resources that are version-controlled, or have version-controlled
members).
/DAV/
/DAV/src/

and a version-controlled resource
/DAV/src/source.c

which as you can see is at the 'right' point in the namespace.  Its
content and dead properties are those as captured by th baseline (and it
cannot be modified).

> Well was this sentence really more understandable than
> the definition above?

<g>

Regards,