From: Tim Ellison <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:08:00 +0000
To: "Ietf-Dav-Versioning (E-mail)" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
"Kirmse, Daniel" <daniel.kirmse@sap.com> wrote:

> I don't think I've got an understanding of what this means:
> 12.3.1 DAV:baseline-collection (protected)
>         This property contains a server-defined URL for a
> collection, where each member of this collection MUST
> either be a version-controlled resource with the same
> DAV:checked-in version and relative name as a version-
> controlled member of the baseline-controlled collection
> at the time the baseline was created, or be a collection
> needed to provide the relative name for a version-
> controlled resource.
>         <!ELEMENT baseline-collection (href)>

The DAV:baseline-collection is a mechanism for 'viewing' the contents of a
baseline without 'restoring' it.

A baseline resource is not a collection, it is a blob that captures the
state of version-controlled resources in a configuration.  However, it is
useful to be able to see which (version-controlled) resources were
captured by the baseline, and that is provided by the

The DAV:baseline-collection will appear exactly the same as the
(version-controlled resources in the) configuration that was baselined.
Since there may be collections that are not version-controlled, whose
members _are_ version-controlled, it may be necessary to include
'place-holder' collections in the DAV:baseline-collection to ensure that
all the version-controlled resources appear at the correct relative name.

> Suppose a collection /DEV under basline-control. This
> collection has a member collection /src and the latter
> has a member source.c.

Ok, /DAV/src/source.c

> Is it right to undersatnd it that
> way that the baseline-collection property of a baseline
> of the VCC tracking /DEV contains a copy of the tree
> rooted of /DEV (except for those memebers tracked by
> another VCC) at the moment the snapshot was done?

Yes, again, provided they are themselves version-controlled.

So if
/DAV/ is baseline controlled but not version-controlled,
/DAV/src/ is not version-controlled,
/DAV/src/source.c _is_ version-controlled.

Then a baseline of /DAV/ will have a baseline-collection with two
collections only there to make up the namespace (i.e., their members only
includes resources that are version-controlled, or have version-controlled

and a version-controlled resource

which as you can see is at the 'right' point in the namespace.  Its
content and dead properties are those as captured by th baseline (and it
cannot be modified).