Re: BASELINE-CONTROL

"Kirmse, Daniel" <daniel.kirmse@sap.com> wrote:

> questions we could write a book called "DeltaV for
> Dummies - A virtual reality dialogue" :o)), anyway.

I appreciate you taking time to raise these questions.  They're far from
'dummy' questions, too.  I'd encourage you to contribute to the FAQ
(http://www.webdav.org/deltav/faq) all that you have learned that you felt
was not well described by the specification.

> Situation:
>
>   +----------------+                        +-------------------+
>   | WS /DEV        |<-------------------+   | VCC1  /repo/vcc/1 |
>   +----------------+                    |   +-------------------+
>   |                |       +-------+    +---+DAV:bline-cntrl-col|
>   |   +--------+   |       |  VH1  |        +-------------------+
>   |   |  VCR1  |   |       +-------+        |DAV:checked-in     +------+
>   |   +--------+   |       |   V1 <+-----+  +-------------------+      |
>   |   | CIN V2-+---+---+   |   |   |     |  |DAV:version-history+--+   |
>   |   +--------+   |   +---+-> V2 <+--+  |  +-------------------+  |   |
>   |                |       +-------+  |  |                         |   |
>   +----------------+                  |  |  +-------------------+  |   |
>                                       |  |  | BLH /repo/blh/1   |<-+   |
>                                       |  |  +-------------------+      |
>                                       |  |  |DAV:version-set    +--+-+ |
>                                       |  |  +-------------------+  | | |
>                                       |  |                         | | |
>                                       |  |  +-------------------+  | | |
>                                       |  +--+ BL /repo/blh/1/v1 |<-+ | |
>                                       |     +-------------------+    | |
>                                       |                              | |
>                                       |     +-------------------+    | |
>                                       +-----+ BL /repo/blh/1/v2 |<---+-+
>                                             +-------------------+

I'm confused by this diagram, what are the arrows that are going from the
baseline(s) to the version(s)?  You did not give then a property name so I
cannot guess what they are.  Maybe you are thinking of the
DAV:baseline-collection? In which case this is not in the version history
as you depict.

Furthermore, I don't see what the relationship is between /DEV and VCR1?
So let's assume that VCR1 is called /DEV/foo

> The Worksapce precise /DEV is under BASELINE-CONTROL. V2 of
> VCR1 is captured in V2 of the VCC1 (Baseline /repo/blh/1/v2).
> Now a new workspace /CONS is created and put under
> BASELINE-CONTROL that way:
>
>         MKWORKSPACE /CONS
>
>                 BASELINE-CONTROL /src HTTP/1.1
>                 Host: www.webdav.org
>
>                 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
>                 <D:baseline-control xmlns:D="DAV:">
>                   <D:href>http://.../repo/blh/1/V2</D:href>
>                 </D:baseline-control>
>
>         (see DeltaV 12.6.1)
>
> Well what happens to /CONS is explained in 12.6.1 of DeltaV.
> But take a look at VCR1. Am I right that the copy of VCR1
> in /CONS (VCR2) points to V2 of VCR1 in VH1 to? Or is there
> a new VH for VCR2 and there is no connection between VCR1
> and VCR2. My understanding would be that VCR1 and VCR2
> sharing the same VH. (At least this is what suits me and
> my application best)

I'm confused.  Perhaps you can restate the problem, answering my questions
above, and I'll try again.

> BAckground:
> I have a software project under development. The Sourcetree
> is originally located in workspace /DEV. /DEV is under
> baseline-control. At some time in future I will close
> development and set up a consolidation codeline. This
> consolidation codeline is placed into workspace /CONS using
> the reference to a baseline of /DEV to populate it with
> the then closed development codeline.  As far as I
> understand this /DEV and /CONS are VCC's on their own and
> have distinct baseline-histories.
> What I want to achieve is, that the changes applied to my
> sources via the VCR's in /CONS should be a branch/fork of
> the version-tree/history of the corresponding VCR in /DEV.

One way to do this is to create the consolidation workspace and bring it
under baseline control.  Then create /DEV, /DEV1, etc as required and
bring them under baseline control specifying an existing baseline of /DAV
in the body of the reuest (as you showed above).  This will initialize the
/DAV workspace to contain version-controlled members whose DAV:checked-in
versions and relative names are as captured in the baseline of /CONS.

Regards,