Re: Re (2): Creating new version-controlled bindings referencing existing VHR's

From: Alan Kent <ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:26:47 +1100
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
>    From: Konstantin Knizhnik [mailto:KKnizhnik@togetherlab.com]
>
>    So the only way to do it - is to place source collection under
>    baseline control???
>
> If you want to recreate a previous state of the source collection
> from history, yes.

Well, its not the *only* way to do it. We are not planning to support
baselines at this stage. We are planning to use other details such
as a time point to find the appropriate version of every single
thing we want to check out and then do an update to get the appropriate
version for each individual resource at that point in time.

Mind you, we might not be using the DeltaV protocol to do the check
out initially. We might be doing it behind the scenes in a way compatible
with DeltaV to simplify DeltaV support later.

> A collection version and a baseline address different use cases.  It
> appears that your use cases are addressed by the baseline feature, and
> so that is the one you would use.  Why would you want another feature
> (version-controlled collections) to do the same thing?

It may be true that baselines may be more appropriate for your situation.

Alan