RE: Allowing non-default options for auto-checkout and -checkin

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 19:09:23 -0400
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
   From: Roy Seto [mailto:Roy.Seto@oracle.com]

   I'm following up on this discussion from

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-dav-versioning/2001OctDec/0021.html

   in a separate thread. Would it be appropriate to consider part of
   these changes in the editorial pass for the initial RFC?

I believe that this functionality can be achieved in a way that is
compatible with the current draft, i.e. no changes to the current
draft are needed for servers to support this extension.  (Note: I
would not want to actually make the extension in the editorial pass).

      - Autoversioning (extension), baseline feature (use case): In
	Section 3.2.2, change the EMPTY elements in the
	DAV:auto-version property values to ANY, enabling DAV:checkin
	and DAV:checkout elements with default checkin and checkout
	options for the autoversioned VCR to be applied at
	auto-checkin and auto-checkout time. Use case: multiple
	workspaces share the same DAV:current-activity-set and the
	same DAV:checked-in baselines for their version-controlled
	configurations, and those VCCs' DAV:auto-version properties
	are DAV:checkout. There is a problem because
	baseline-controlled members of those workspaces cannot be
	checked in even if they are for different version histories -
	only the first workspace can auto-checkout its VCC unreserved
	in the shared DAV:current-activity-set.

I agree that this is a reasonable use case.

   Continuing this discussion, is there a possibility that some of the
   following changes might be made in the first RFC?

      - In Section 3.2.2, change the EMPTY elements in the
	DAV:auto-version property values to ANY to enable better
	extensibility of those property values.

	(The extension I have in mind is to include a
	DAV:checkout or DAV:checkin element within the
	DAV:auto-version property value to allow options
	to be specified in auto-checkout and auto-checkin
	operations.)

I wouldn't want to embed it in the DAV:auto-version property values,
since that would make it hard for the client to discover whether
this extension is supported.

     or,

      - Around Section 3.2.2, define additional property names to hold
	options for auto-checkout and auto-checkin operations.

That is how I'd want to define the extensions, but is more than I'd
want to do in an editorial pass.  Let's define those new properties in
draft form, and add it to the "proposed extensions" list.  (we already
have one such proposed extension on the web site, the "checkin URI"
extension).