Re: Why does MERGE automatically checkin resources related to act ivities?

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:25:42 -0700
To: "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com>
Cc: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 09:50:50AM -0400, Clemm, Geoff wrote:
> Greg: If you split your "commit" into an activity "CHECKIN"
> followed by a baseline "MERGE", I believe you would have the
> right framework for doing branching (in particular,

We use cheap copies, not branching.

> a branch is just a CHECKIN that is not followed by a MERGE).
> This would have CHECKIN of an activity create a new
> subversion revision (aka a DeltaV baseline), but this revision
> wouldn't become the "current" one until you did the MERGE.

Not supported.

> If so, I believe this would then remove your need for
> having CHECKIN be a side effect of MERGE.  But this of course
> works only if subversion allows a new revision to be created that
> does not immediately become the current revision.  But don't
> you have to do that to support branching?

Effectively, we do:

$ svn cp /trunk /branches/gstein-work

Hmm. I just realized that the original question made it seem like some weird
side effect. But in the case under discussion, you're doing a MERGE on an
*activity*. Thus, it makes perfect sense to take all resources contained in
that activity as the merge source.

Cheers,
-g

--