From: Clemm, Geoff [mailto:gclemm@rational.com]
Sent: 27 September 2001 14:00
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: RE: Legal operations on members of a Baseline Collection...

   From: Peter Raymond [mailto:Peter.Raymond@merant.com]

   The Baseline Collection captures the state of resources that were
   in the Baseline-Controlled Collection when the Baseline was created
   or when the Version-Controlled Configuration checked-in.  In my
   opinion the resources in the Baseline Collection should be frozen
   (since they just capture state), but, the specification only seems
   to disallow CHECKOUT of a member of this collection.

Yes, the intent was for the dead properties and content of the
baseline collection and its members to be frozen.  We can't really say
what happens to live properties (e.g. a "last accessed time" property
could change).

   Section 12.11 defines (in precondition
   DAV:must-not-update-baseline-collection) that CHECKOUT cannot be
   done on a member of a Baseline Collection.  Shouldn't other
   operations, eg COPY, MOVE, PUT, DELETE, PROPPATCH also be prevented
   on members of a baseline collection?

Since the members of a BCC are all checked-in VCR's, the only way
they can be changed is if they are first checked-out, which is
why it is sufficient to just disallow CHECKOUT.