Why have separate DAV:checked-in and DAV:checked-out?

From: Peter Raymond <Peter.Raymond@merant.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 13:23:08 +0100
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

I was thinking about the issue of properties being removed or empty
depending on the
state of the resource and the effect this has on PROPFIND and
etc.  It struck me as odd that the protocol defines DAV:checked-in and
as two separate properties, rather than having one property to identify
the version and
another to identify the state (eg is it checked-in or checked-out).
I would have thought something like the following would be more logical,
this way the
properties are always present:

3.2.1DAV:version (protected)

This property appears on a version-controlled resource, and identifies a
version that
has the same content and dead properties as the version-controlled

<!ELEMENT version (href)>

3.2.2DAV:status (protected)

This property appears on a version-controlled resource, and identifies
the state of
that resource (checked-in or checked-out).  This property is changed
when the resource
is checked out or checked-in.

<!ELEMENT status ANY>
ANY value: A single element which can be either a DAV:checked-in element
or a
DAV:checked-out element.

<!ELEMENT checked-in EMPTY>
<!ELEMENT checked-out EMPTY>

Is there a good reason why the above is not desirable or why the current
is better?

Peter Raymond - MERANT.