Re: Allow: header and supported methods

Lisa,

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're talking about is the
same thing as what Adobe Acrobat 5 seems to do - it appears to send a
lot of extra PROPFIND and GET requests to a DAV server to convince
itself that the file it has is the same as the one on the server,
before doing a PUT.

So what we're saying is that it can't be *certain* that it still has a
lock, but the extra information is better than not having it.

The slight snag with this comes over low bandwidth links. The extra
requests (especially the GETs) can really add lag - especially if the
typical file for versioning is a 1M pdf file.

Personally, I'd like well-behaved (and especially potentially mobile)
clients to have an advanced option to not try and keep the status
updated (and to be able to tell the server that it didn't want to
receive event notification, in a hypothetical event notification
extension, and that it was happy with pot-luck on whether the ops it
thinks it can do, it can actually do).

Ben