RE: Use of attributes

   > From: Julian F. Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@greenbytes.de]
   >    That could have easily been done by adding it in the form of:
   >
   > 	   <x:quota xmlns:D="DAV:" D:is-computed="true" />

   > From: Clemm, Geoff
   > For a simple extension like D:is-computed, yes, but not all
   > extensions will have values that easily map into a simple string.

   <x:quota><D:is-computed xmlns:D="DAV:">...</D:is-computed></x:quota>

The problem is how do you declare where this new D:iscomputed
node can appear?  Since it can appear on any property type,
it can appear as a child of any node.  But if you have a
D:supported-live-property node, you can declare that D:is-computed is a
child of D:supported-live-property.  Note that this is not a
DTD specific issue, but applies to any attempt to declare the
syntax (e.g. XML-Schema).

   So, among those who have implemented clients that use
   supported-live-property-set -- how many of you are currently
   treating a missing namespace name as being "DAV:"? I'd say that the
   current wording almost *guarantees* that clients will implement
   this wrongly.

Well, "guarantee" seems a bit strong ... I'd think at least one implementor
would be aware of the ATTLIST semantics.  But I agree with your point.
The spec should be clear, and if the ATTLIST semantics is not widely
understood, we need to make it clear what was intended.

Probably, the best way to go is to replace the old syntax, i.e.:

  <D:supported-live-property-set>
    <D:supported-live-property>
      <D:name> <D:getcontentlanguage/> </D:name>
    </D:supported-live-property>
    <D:supported-live-property>
      <D:name> <X:quota/> </D:name>
  </supported-live-property-set>

Note: All this got started when we encountered problems with
D:supported-method ... those values are not conveniently
represented as xml nodes, which let to the attribute approach.
D:supported-live-property and D:supported-report were changed
just to be consistent with D:supported-method.  But we could
easily change D:supported-live-property and D:supported-report
back, and just use attributes for D:supported-method.