RE: The definition of a "Baseline-Controlled Collection"

   From: Edgar@EdgarSchwarz.de [mailto:Edgar@EdgarSchwarz.de]

   Here my understanding of this stuff:
   A configuration is a set of resources located at a root collection.

I'd have said "located at or below a root collection".

   A baseline is a version of a configuration.

Yes.

   Peter Raymond <Peter.Raymond@merant.com> wrote:

   > Section 10.2 of the specification defines a "Baseline-Controlled
   > Collection" as follows: A "baseline-controlled collection" is a
   > collection from which baselines can be created.

   A "baseline-controlled collection" is a collection which is a
   container for a configuration and therefore you can create
   baselines (configuration versions) IN it.  The statement in the
   draft isn't that clear I guess.

This depends on what you mean by "container" and "in" (we don't define
those terms in the protocol).  The baselines are not members of the
baseline-controlled collection, so it might be misleading to say that
they are "in" or "contained by" the baseline-controlled collection.

   > So at this point I have a "empty" baseline, how do I populate it
   > with the checked-in versions of resources from the original
   > collection?  I guess I check-out the version-controlled
   > configuration that was created by the BASELINE-CONTROL and just
   > check it in again ???

   Just do it like that. OTOH I think it would be intuitive to say
   that if there are already checked-in version-controlled resources
   in a collection you put under baseline control just take these for
   the initial version.

Looks like we have a third vote for this approach (Peter, Edgar,
myself), so I'll go ahead and make this adjustment if there are no
objections.

   Another thing I just noticed: A BASELINE-CONTROL precondition is
   DAV:must-have-no-version-controlled-members. The description then
   states that the request URL 'MUST have no members'. Wanted
   restriction or should it read 'MUST have no version controlled
   members' ?

Good catch, Edgar!  The token name is correct, so the description
needs to be fixed.  I'll take care of that.